My momma and I argue a lot–but isn’t that normal? I think it’s because we are so much alike…especially when it comes to “who’s right” or “the final word.” We’ll probably even argue about those statements, but it just better supports my theories. However, when we move past all the grey hair I’ve given her or all the headaches I complain she’s caused me–we are, undeniably, each other’s best friends. (Actually–I’m pretty sure she might start a debate about how I treat some of my other friends better than her.)
She can be salty and a little moody, but mostly she is thoughtfully sweet…to a fault sometimes :) and I know that she would do anything for family. Although we may be opinionated and stubborn with each other, we will almost always agree on the important things in life. We value the same qualities in people–integrity, respect, humility and empathy; and believe that hard work will get you far in life. Our family is our rock and we’ve both been blessed with incredible friendships that we now refer to as family.
When we’re not agreeing on life’s big matters, we’re exchanging words in the kitchen about silly things, like what kitchen utensils will work best, what “small” looks like when it comes to spooning out the cookies, or even if I actually like to bake or not. (FYI: I actually prefer to bake when I am stressed, but I definitely won’t be opening up a bake shop anytime soon.)
Anyways…this recipe was a fun little collaboration (and slight compromise) we made this week. I think you will appreciate the result of our two strong opinions combining forces.
MOMMA YOUNG’S POP-N-TOFF COOKIES
Adapted from Hershey’s Heath Bits O’ Brickle Toffee Drop Cookies Recipe makes about 6 dozen cookies. (This is a LOT of cookies–perfect for a party or cookie exchange, but I would have halved the recipe if I made them again.)
- 1.5 Cups already popped popcorn (slightly salted and buttered, if you wish)
- 1 Cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 Teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3.5 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups (8 oz. pkg.) HEATH BITS ‘O BRICKLE Toffee Bits
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- 2 Teaspoons baking soda
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and salt in large bowl until blended.
- Add eggs; beat well.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended.
- Stir in toffee bits.
- Then carefully fold in your popped popcorn. Some of it will crush, and Momma will say a couple of times, “This is not gonna work,” but just tell her to “have faith” and I guarantee–it will all come together.
- Drop heaping teaspoons onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
Thanks, Momma, for letting me be bossy in the kitchen…and in life. I get it from you. :) I’m lucky and thankful you have taught me so much, and challenged me to do better and be better. Love you, Bestie!