Sometimes, your soul just needs some old friends, a trip to G-Ma’s house, and some homemade brownies with a kick to help you refocus, relax, and…at the same time, recharge.
This weekend I jumped on a bus with my life-twin, The Sarah Miller**, to visit one of our dearest friends, Ms. Lindsay, up in Boston. With only a few weeks left in the states (she’s off to Italy for a 9-month fellowship!) we knew we needed to take advantage of the couple days off and spend some quality time together in “Winchest-ah."
The cool mist and cloudy weather were no "rain on [our] parade” this weekend because all we wanted was 48 hours around a table to catch up on life, love and everything in between. Oh and during that time–we whipped up these spicy delights. If my “Go Get ‘Em” girls were to be a dessert in another life, I’d say this brownie would come pretty darn close. Decadent and rich in flavor, but with a sneaky little kick that makes your heart giggle and your insides all warm and fuzzy. :) Now, if this brownie could also cure cancer–I’d say these brownies nailed my girls pretty well. (That’s what she said? Ok, maybe not.)
MEXICAN CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
Source: Adapted from Chef Aarón Sanchez
Recipe makes 12-16 brownies.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons Mexican vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I swear by Ghirardelli)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Ground cinnamon and powdered sugar (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8" x 8" baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside. In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs and sugar and beat until the mixture is a light yellow. Add the vanilla and cooled melted butter. Stir until combined.
- Sift in the cocoa, flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add the cinnamon and cayenne pepper and stir until combined.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out fudgy, about 25-30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Lightly dust the brownies with a bit of powdered sugar and cinnamon. Cut into squares and enjoy!
These are my “Go Get 'Em Girls” back in 2009 (I think we came to the conclusion). We may only be lucky enough to see each other once a year…but our 1-hour brunch, lunch or coffee date check-ins mean more to me than I could have ever imagined. 12 years ago, we all talked about our dreams–living in NY, graduating from law school, pursuing acting careers, saving the world! Who knew that we’d all be doing that–and so much more?! I am humbled and inspired by these wickedly** awesome girls and I hope that we never stop pushing each other. Thanks for always reminding me that “I can” and “We will.”
To our amazing years of friendship (and brownies) and to many more…
- - -
**Yes–THE Sarah Miller from The Sarah Miller Fan Club! How did I become best friends with someone this cool?! That’s a whole 'nother blog post. Stay tuned!
***Wickedly–Lindz, is this a word in Boston? Do I sound like an idiot? It’s like when non-NorCal people try to use the word “hecka.” Maybe I should quit while I’m ahead. :)